Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I love you forever, I'll like you for always....

Dear Caleb, How is it possible that you are already 5 years old? You and Ayden are growing up too fast. I wish I could freeze time right now but I know so many parents who wish they could do the same but haven’t figured out how exactly to accomplish that. You are my baby. I tell you that and you remind me that you’re not a baby. And really you aren’t my baby just because you are younger than Ayden but I like to say it to you anyway. Someone has to be the “baby” so you have be given that privilege. You were our little surprise. You were our Baby “B”……nothing we planned for but more than we could have ever imagined. When daddy and I found out we were having 2 babies we were shocked. Daddy was so happy and excited that he was going to have 2 little babies to love and hug. I was a little nervous because I didn’t know if I could love you both the way I knew I could love one. Thanks to God I have more than enough love in my heart for you and Ayden and I couldn’t be more happy that you are a part of our family.
You are your brothers opposite or maybe he is your opposite. Either way. I love it, you complement one another. You are so easy going and always have been. You were never the baby that demanded much attention but you always let us know you were there. You can sometimes fall into Ayden shadow because he is so dominant but you don’t seem to mind and you handle the role very well. Most twins have this dynamic and the two of your are no exception There are also times when you take charge and lead your brother. When you have an idea in your head it is impossible to change your mind. Never lose that. When you know that something is right and that there is a better way to accomplish something don’t ever be afraid to speak up and let your voice be heard. One thing about you and your brother I simply don’t understand is that he’s left handed and your right handed so why do you insist in sitting on the same chair at the table some nights with your dominant hands both hitting one another? Why not switch sides so you don’t have to be constantly bumping into each other? Oh well, one of those things I will never understand. You are ridiculously smart. People tell me this all the time. I try not to brag about it but in my heart, and in daddy’s heart, we are so proud of your intelligence. You taught yourself to read before you were 4. You blew us away. One day we were driving in the car and we drove passed a gas station and you said “Look it’s Speedway.” Speedway what? How did you learn how to read so easily? It just amazes me. The best part about your talent is that you share it with anyone willing to listen. I love watching you read to your brother. I love when you read to anyone in our family. I particularly love when I come to school and see a friend snuggled up next to you reading. So far school has come very naturally to you….I pray that this continues for many many years. You love learning and you are great at it.
You are not the social butterfly of our family, Ayden has taken that role on…..however you are a great friend. You are not one of those people who believes in having all the friends in the world. You enjoy having a few great friends. When you talk about your friends you light up. You love to tell about their lives and about your interactions with them. I love that you have these bonds. I completely agree with you-It’s not about the quantity of friends you have it’s about the quality. Always remember that. You have a smile that could light up the world. When you show your real Caleb smile you make the room smile. When you really give a good belly laugh it’s infectious. The thing that seems to make you laugh the most is Ayden. Frequently daddy and I have no idea what is so funny but Ayden will have you cracking up and we just smile with tears in our eyes. I am amazed by the bond that two people can share so effortlessly. If only everyone in the world could have someone as special to them as you are to Ayden and he is to you.
You are a great child and a pleasure to raise. You are a really good listener and often follow directions the first time we ask (could you share some of that with Ayden ). When given instructions on how to do something you like to do it exactly as you were told. You are a very literal person. We used to say if we told you it was raining cats and dogs you’d probably look outside and laugh and tell us it wasn’t. You are much to wise beyond your years. You remind us all the time that it’s almost time for you to go to Kindergarten. You are ready to see what it’s like. You and Ayden are both becoming more and more comfortable being individuals but never too distant from one another. As you continue to grow and make your way to elementary school I hope you stay as close as ever. I hope you always protect one another. I know you are ready for the next step but I don’t think daddy and I are quite yet. Please always let people know who you are and don’t be afraid to speak up. You have such wisdom to share….let the world hear it. I look forward to continuing to watch you grow and mature. I look forward to always being in the crowd cheering you on. I am so proud of everything you have done and everything you will do. I love you Cay-dubs!!
Love, Mommy

1 comment:

Laura said...

I am humbled by your way with words, the eloquence in which you speak, the feeling in the things you write and the love that's in your heart! Your boys have the most loving parents anyone can ask for!