Saturday, February 4, 2012

Life with multiples

Like many other parents of multiples I've been asked all the typical questions.  Are they identical?  (really?  Look at them please.) You must be tired?  You've got to be so busy?  Did you have medical intervention?  Were they born early?  You get the point.

I will be honest.  I had an extremely uneventful pregnancy, and I'm not complaining a bit.  My nurse once told me that I should write a book on what it's like to be pregnant with multiples because I made it look so easy.  Honestly I felt like if I moped around and complained about how much it sucked to be as big as a house (teasing) then I would be more miserable.  I knew that we would likely have only 2 children so I planned on enjoying growing 2 little people in my belly as much as I could.

Around 32 weeks
The most eventful time in my pregnancy was going to triage at 35 weeks (Black Friday 2006) thinking I COULD be in labor.  My mom and I went to just see and after some testing and finding out I had Braxton Hicks they sent me home.  Ha, lame I know.  Oh and around the same time one night I was taking out my contacts and sneezed at the same time, peed my pants.  Embarrassing but true!

Anyway, moving on...

We were blessed with our boys and how could you not swoon over the two of them once you saw how absolutely adorable they were and how much they love one another.



Ayden and Caleb couldn't be more different yet similar in some ways as well.  I'm going to introduce them from my point of view to you all so that going forward you already know a bit more about them than you do right now.  So Ayden was born first, and he just learned that, so lets keep it hush hush because it's bothering Caleb to know he's younger when he's actually bigger, haha!!  Ayden is a "life of the party type" a total comedian as well.  He's naturally very chatty (not sure how that came about) and still a fantastic cuddle bug.  With all milestones we thought Caleb would do them first and then all of a sudden Ayden would beat him by a day or two.  He loves to play and he loves to wrestle with this daddy.  Oh and this kiddo will eat ANYTHING, seriously sushi, whatever, he doesn't care.  Caleb is a bit more laid back and go with the flow.  He's reserved and a big less opinionated.  Caleb is far smarter than his age as well.  He taught him self to read when he just turned 4.  That comes in handy when I need to cook dinner and he can entertain them both.  He's less social than Ayden but he can still tell a great story and has a great imagination as well.  Also a big difference is that Ayden is a lefty and Caleb a righty.  I love this, I think it's such a fun difference.

Life with 2 babies was pretty much a blur.  But life with two 5 year olds is amazing.  They are such cool people.  They have opinions and are learning such cool things lately.  Everyday is a fun adventure.  What used to be a bit more daunting to go out and do alone is now fairly easy and fun.  We're the busy kind and always out and about having fun and I love that they are down for anything.  My kids are just cool....at least I think they are!

Ok Goofy makes anyone cool
That's my intro to A & C and I know there will be many more stories about them.  Kindergarten is coming folks....

And lets be clear.....
Identical?  No, obviously
Tired?  Aren't all parents
Busy?  Again, aren't all parents
Medical Intervention?  No
Born Early?  Nope 38.5 weeks here!


No comments: