Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Shake it like a polaroid picture

Zumba….if you haven’t jumped on board with do it!! Did you make a New Year’s resolution to exercise more? This could be what you need. For the last year I’ve called it my “non-workout workout.” Say what? What I mean is that I enjoy it so much it doesn’t even feel like a workout. Seriously people I love Zumba and I’m not afraid to shout it out!

What is Zumba? Well it’s a “Latin-inspired” dance/fitness party. Every class/instructor has their own style but in my experience it tends to be a mix of hip hop and Latin music. Who doesn’t love a little alcohol free hour of dancing from time to time? It doesn’t hurt that you can burn 500 calories or more in a single class while having a good time too!

The best part about Zumba is you can just be yourself. You shake what your momma gave you and have a blast doing it. No one is watching you (ok I do watch people from time to time). Generally speaking however most people are busy watching the instructor and they don’t have time to worry about if you get every step right. If you’re upright and if you’re moving you likely won’t be noticed. Also if you’re lucky they will turn the lights low and then you can really let it all go! Find a class near you, seriously, try it. I’m sure it will make you as feel like a kid again!

I’ve touched the fact that in the last year I’ve lost weight, and I have, but that post isn’t today’s post. I attribute a large portion of my weight loss to exercise and a large majority of my exercise has been Zumba. I don’t love going on machines because I get bored. I’m don’t really enjoy weights, but I try. But give me a dance floor and some hip hop and suddenly I think I’m J-Lo. I’m sure my skills are lacking but for that hour class I couldn’t care less and enjoy the party.

Not convinced yet? Maybe you should try Aqua Zumba. That’s right Zumba in the water…..crazy. I haven’t gotten to try this yet and I’ve heard mixed reviews. However, in 2012 I will try it. Last year you wouldn’t have caught me in a swimsuit if you paid me but this year I might be convinced to give it a shot.

If you aren’t ready to hit up a class well then stream some good music on your iPod at home and do your own thing. I stream a Zumba channel and it plays many of the songs from the class. Kids need to get some energy out? In my house we crank it up and have a dance off….sometimes we play tag during the dance off. Let me tell you there is major calorie burn going on in my house when a dance off is in effect.


Please try it….it’s changed the way I look at exercise. I enjoy it now!




3 comments:

Holly Hacker said...

Sounds like fun! I've always stayed away from any group classes, I just don't feel coordinated enough to follow along without looking ridiculous. But anything that makes working out fun is definitely worth a shot. I think they have a WII version, might have to give that a try. I'd love to enjoy exercise too!

Congrats on starting the blog-I've added it to my Google Reader list.

Tiffany said...

Awesome Holly....THANKS! The Wii version is really fun actually. I like the dynamic of the class but I still thought it was worth it. Let me know if you do try it how it goes!

Jordan said...

I too have fallen in love with Zumba! At my gym they turn off all of the lights and then turn on the music and the disco ball, it's a blast! We have 5 different instructors 6 days a week, so you're always learning something new, which is fun, but hard to keep it straight sometimes :) Have a great time working out and keep up the good work Tiffany, you're an inspiration!